Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tracking down a player's picture: A strange and true story from years ago


The Jubilee Edition 1951 Thompson Turkin Baseball Encyclopedia shows baseball player Thomas Phillips was born in April, 1895, in Phillipsburg, New Jersey.

As a die-hard collector of baseball player photos I needed his photo. In those earlier days, an envelope marked “Postmaster Please Forward” many times reached the subject or one of their relatives. I gave it a try.

The postal clerk in Phillipsburg, New Jersey, received my envelope to Tom Phillips with the request for a photo inside. He read the writing on the envelope aloud. A young woman who happened to be at the Post Office window remarked, “I know Tom Phillips, but he passed away one day before we were to be married!”

She said she would contact the envelope sender and advise him that Tom Phillips had relatives in Altoona, Pennsylvania who would have photos and information on Mr. Phillips. Soon after, I received photos and the obituary of Mr. Phillips that I cherish in my photo collection.

2 comments:

Comments welcome!

SEARCH FOR ANYTHING ON AMAZON